News / Match Reports

posted 11 Sep 2012, 07:40 by Unknown user   [ updated 14 Apr 2017, 08:14 by Shane Malone ]


 2017 News / Match Reports

Three Great Draws ... Cut Price Entry Fee

Following the very successful limited 400 Club Christmas Draw last year where members got entry into both our Xmas Draw and also into last months National Club Draw for €100 the Club will again be holding the draw this year.

As an incentive to those that also buy €100 tickets from the Club for the Club Kildare 4 Month Draw (May, June, July and August) we are offering members entry into all these draws for the cut price of €150. That's six draws in total (the four monthly Club Kildare car draws, our own Xmas Draw with a top prize of €10,000, and the National Club Draw with foreign holidays, All-Ireland ticket packages, etc.), all for only €150.

This deal is only available until the first Club Kildare Draw next month (26th May) and members must pay the €150 in full by that date to avail of this great offer. To book your tickets in time contact any of our executive committee or message us on facebook.

25/03/2017 - SFL Division 1 - Naas 0-15 Raheens 1-12

20/03/2017 - Keogh Cup Final - Raheens 1-09  Monasterevin 1-11

Ryan Bannon's strike three minutes from time helped Monasterevin take the season's first bit of silverware on Sunday afternoon when they edged to a two-point win over Raheens in the Keogh Cup final. Both of these sides will have serious aspirations of making it to the latter stages of the Intermediate Championship this year, and Raheens were also aiming to defend their pre season title after winning this same competition last year.

The unrelenting rain began to come down about 30 minutes prior to throw-in, and though it cleared for about five minutes midway through the first half, it remained for most of the opening 30 minutes. That paved the way for an ultimately scrappy affair that was full of spilled balls and wayward foot passing as both teams struggled to get to grips with the conditions from the offset.

That probably had a factor in the opening score of the game - and the only goal of the first half - when Raheens' David Malone's long range shot was dropping some way short, but John Jennings followed the flight of the ball and palmed it to the back of Adam Forde's net. Monasterevin responded well to the initial setback as their chiefs marksman, Wayne Fitzpatrick, landed two scores from frees to settle them into the tie.

Monasterevin goalkeeper Adam Forde was a busy man during the opening quarter as he twice denied Raheens certain goals. His first intervention was to stop a low shot from Jennings, while he then parried a powerful effort from Paddy Woodgate a couple of minutes later to keep the opposition at bay. Woodgate expertly dispatched the resultant '45, but Padraig Nash responded well at the other end by knocking over a free.

John Jennings' first point of the afternoon in the 17th minute began a 10-minute spell where neither side managed to score as mistakes blotted the pattern of the tie, but a superb point from Monasterevin's Cormac Stapleton eventually had the umpire reaching for the white flag once more. Rory Donnelly replied with a tidy effort from a tight angle at the opposite end, and a score each from Woodgate and Fitzpatrick sent the sides in with Raheens leading 1-4 to 0-5 at the break.

The game really opened up in the second half as the weather conditions improved, and there was a real free-flowing element to proceedings for the next 30 minutes. Rory Donnelly kicked Raheens back into a three-point lead with a good strike from a free, but Monasterevin then enjoyed their best spell of the game as they reeled off four points in a row.

Fitzpatrick led the charge with a pointed free, before Stapleton and Nash both sent over their second scores of the day to level matters. A fine effort from the left wing courtesy of Fitzpatrick put the blues into the lead for the first time in the game with seven minutes gone in the second half, but it was Raheens who would get the next two scores of the game at a crucial time.

Both came from frees, with David Fitzpatrick and Rory Donnelly chipping over one apiece as the beaten 2015 Intermediate Championship finalists retook the lead. Monasterevin could have found the net as the game entered its final quarter when Nash picked out Fitzpatrick with a quite wonderful crossfield pass to send him through on goal, but Kildare U21 goalkeeper Declan Campbell fronted u and blocked his effort .

They did take the lead however, and this time they managed to hold onto it as Nash slotted over a free and Ryan Bannon landed a long range effort. Bannon then got on the end of a looping pass from Mark Kelly, and with Raheens' defenders over complicating matters, the wing-forward managed to toe-poke the ball to the back of Campbell's net.

Raheens poured forward in search of a late goal to give them some hope, but they met a staunch resistance from the Monasterevin defence and the best they could manage was a couple of pointed frees from Woodgate as the south Kildare club held on for the win.

Scorers for Raheens: J Jennings 1-1, P Woodgate 0-4(3f, 1'45), R Donnelly 0-3(2f), D Fitzpatrick 0-1f.

Scorers for Monasterevin: W Fitzpatrick 0-5(4f), R Bannon 1-1, P Nash 0-3(2f), C Stapleton 0-2.


D Campbell; S Crowley, J O'Brien, C Conlon(J Lawler 35mins); C Malone(C Power 58mins), G Waters(A Campbell 52mins), J Earley; R Hannick, D Fitzpatrick; D Malone, A Igoe(M Waters 48mins), J Jennings; P Woodgate, R Donnelly, L Power(T Dore 42mins).


A Forde(C McCabe ht); D Dunne, G Worrell, T Kennedy(K Dunne ht); P Kelly, J O'Toole, R Bannon; P Maloney, W Sharpe(S Kerins 57mins); M Kelly, R Heavey, C Stapleton; W Fitpatrick, C Dempsey(L Havens ht), P Nash.

15/03/2017 - Keogh Cup Semi Final - Raheens  Rathangan
Full report to follow

14/03/2017 - Senior Ladies Division 4 - Raheens 3-11 Robert Emmetts 3-10

This was a wonderful game of free flowing football with conditions perfect and Tom Lawler Park in immaculate condition. Robert Emmetts dominated the early exchanges through the excellent Nicole Gorey and she pointed on 3 minutes to give Emmetts an early lead. Gorey continued to cause problems for Raheens with her surging runs through the middle and on 8 minutes she found the top corner of the net with a wonderful goal. Raheens did come into the game and were guilty of some wayward shooting but did eventually find their range with an Ellen Murphy point. Shortly afterwards, Raheens corner forward Sarah Fitzsimons was awarded a penalty and Murphy calmly despatched it to the net.  Both teams exchanged points on 20 and 21 minutes with Nicole Gorey for Emmetts and Ciana O’Brien for Raheens and indeed Gorey again on 27 and 28 minutes, however, Raheens responded well with points from Emma Kielty and Ciana O’Brien to leave the sides level at half time at 1-04 each.

The second half was even better than the first as both teams began to find their range. Raheens had early chances but were unable to convert while Aoife Kiernan and Nicole Gorey (2) put Emmetts 3 points clear. Raheens had 2 great goal chances but Alannah Keegan kept them at bay and after the second attempt, Emmetts broke down the field and struck with a wonderfully taken goal from Niamh Hodson. More misery was to follow for Raheens as Aoife Kiernan had a point blank shot saved wonderfully by Meghan Campbell but Kiernan was clever and followed up to palm the ball into the net. The game looked over but the Raheens women are made of stern stuff and reeled off 4 points from Ciana O’Brien, Aoife Morrisson, Ellen Murphy and Sarah Fitzsimons. Robert Emmetts responded with points from Shauna Eaton and Niamh Hodson but a goal on 52 minutes from Lucy O’Brien after a goal mouth scramble gave Raheens some real belief. The goal was quickly followed by pointed frees from Aoife Morrisson and Ellen Murphy which left 2 points between the sides. A late Emmetts point on 58 minutes from Megan Callan seem to seal victory but Ciana O’Brien responded for Raheens  with a 59th minute point and with almost the last kick of the game from Sarah Fitzsimons, who launched a high hopeful ball with the hop deceiving the Robert Emmetts keeper to give them victory on the night. There was great celebrations afterwards as this was the first ever game for this team to win. Conratulations to all involved. 

25/02/2017 - Keogh Cup Round 2 - Clogherinkoe 0-09 Raheens 2-09
The underfoot conditions made it difficult for both teams to play flowing football but Clogherinkoe starting brightly with a clear tactic of isolating there corner forward, Cian McMonagle, who was equally adept on both left and right and he had put the Cloghs ahead by 3 points with some wonderful scores. Meanwhile, Raheens were labouring in attack but Alan Campbell did knock over a point after 12 minutes. However, with McMonagle being fouled again and scoring the resulting free, Matthew Bethsimons was given the task of marking him. It was the move that changed the game. Bethsimons cut off the supply to McMonagle and as a result the Clogherinkoe attack ground to a halt. This allowed Raheens to become more attacking and great work from the diamond of Graham Waters, Rory Hannick, David Fitzpatrick & John Jennings created a great platform for the Raheens forwards especially Alan Campbell. "Meatballs" pointed after 18 minutes and then fisted to the net after a long ball was sent in by David Fitzpatrick. Raheens were playing great football at this stage with slick passing and incisive runs, they forced a penalty after a foot block on ? Luckily, David Malone had been practising penalties all week and he calmly dispatched the ball to the corner of the net. Raheens finished strongly with points from Alan Igoe, Campbell & Hannick with a solitary response from Dean Hanley leaving the half time score Clogherinkoe 0-05 Raheens 2-05.

The second half didn't produce the same quality as the first primarily because the pitch had deteriorated that the game a dour affair with Clogherinkoe getting frustrated, leading to tempers becoming frayed. Raheens were the better of the 2 sides and continued piercing runs through the middle but a combination of good Clogherinkoe defence and poor final passes kept them at bay. The Clogherinkoe attack got moving again when Bethsimons had to retire due to injury and this brought McMonagle into the game again. He had to be marked by 2 Raheens defenders which left Keith Wilkie free and he won an lot of possession but was unable to capitalise but he did win 2 frees which McMonagle put over on 12 and 15 minutes. Alan Campbell replied for Raheens with 2 frees and on 22 minutes Liam Power made a surging to score a lovely point but he would soon follow his brother Colm to the line as a result of black cards for scuffling as frustration got better of both sides. Thomas Dore pointed late to give Raheens a 2-09 to 0-09 victory. It was a great day for Alan Campbell who bagged 1-05 and has given Raheens management another real forward threat for the season ahead. However, they will also have noted McMonagle who scored 7 points and will be a force to be reckoned with if we meet Clogherinkoe in the Championship.

18/02/2017 - Keogh Cup Round 1 - Raheens 1-11 St Kevins 0-11
This game had all the hallmarks of the first game of the season with poor conditions adding to numerous handling and passing errors, however, it did turn out to be an exciting affair if it did lack quality. Raheens started brightly was Graham Waters pointing in the first minute but Kevins would dominate proceedings for the next 15 minutes. Robert Beirne opened their account followed by a brace of points from Barry Noone who caused untold problems for the Raheens defence. The game was turned on its head, when very much against the run of play, Raheens centre forward Rory Donnelly picked out Thomas Dore with a sublime pass and Dore buried it to put Raheens into a lead they would not surrender. Kevins responded with a point from Noone but Raheens finished the half with points from David Malone and Donnelly leaving it Raheens 1-03 St Kevins 0-04 at the interval.

The standard of football improved greatly in the second half as passes started to stick and forwards found their range. Raheens opened with 3 points in the first 10 minutes from Liam & Collie Power and Donnelly but Kevins kept in touch with points from Mark Grace and Damien Reilly. Both teams traded 5 points up to full time with Barry Noone (man of the match) getting 4 of those and a wonder point from the sideline by Dean Regan. Raheens scorers were Malone, David Fitzpatrick, Donnelly, Liam Power and Mark Waters. Final score Raheens 1-11 St Kevins 0-11.

Deccie O'Toole and his management team will be happy with the victory as they "blooded" a number of young players and experimented with a number of positions, however, a much stiffer test awaits in Clogherinkoe next Saturday.

Sinead Early O'Brien,
17 Feb 2017, 03:30
Sinead Early O'Brien,
17 Feb 2017, 03:35